Friday, September 4, 2009

Odd Box Review 10/8


We're a bit behind with being up to date and so I really need to catch up on reviews and other news.... First up it was lovely to see this unseen review about the LP on OddBox upon doing a google just now..

My vinyl copy of ‘Songs For Tuesdays’ arrived today. And the first thing I have to say is that Slumberland Records have excelled themselves with this release. On looks alone it’s a contender for LP of the year – the sleeve is gorgeous and when you crack it open you are presented with a work of art – a beautiful slab of multi coloured vinyl (see above). Wow. There really are no more words to describe it. Just wow. Then you pop the record on the deck and you’re confronted with a record that makes your heart sing. This is indiepop that makes you feel alive. The band seem to have an underlying garage sound which is a perfect foil to their summer pop songs that make up ‘Songs For Tuesday’.

I’d made the mistake of downloading this LP on E-music before hearing it on vinyl. Mistake I say? I don’t usually buy the it sounds better on vinyl maxim when it comes to albums. But boy, if there ever was a case to convert me to this view point it would be this record. With the LP booming out of my speakers I have taken notice of a record that I had thought was merely ‘alright’ on MP3. This record is so far past alright it’s kinda criminal to think I ever felt anything less than enthusiastic for it. Songs like ‘Fulton Girls’ come alive and the punchy guitar/organ combo is a delight and this organ meets guitar sound permeates the whole record. Elsewhere highlights are plentyful – be that the pure pop of ‘Christopher Wren’ or the dizzying garage stomp of ‘Lonely Planet’. I think it’s gonna be tough to find a better release this year. A bold claim, but one that might just hold water come the end of year polls.

August 10th, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment