Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Fog of Ideas Review

What a lovely review to read first thing thing in the morning...

Afogofideas Blogspot
Wednesday, 5 August 2009
Summer Cats 'Songs For Tuesdays'
Previous singles on Cloudberry and WeePOP! made it damn clear that this Melbourne 5 piece (2g's/3b's) possess a seemingly effortless ability to craft irresistible fizzing sparking all action 3 minute pop songs... 'Songs For Tuesdays' (Slumberland) shows the band flexing more muscle, sounding altogether beefier and brawnier, more dynamic...

Damn this album has pep

On this LP Summer Cats sound like... hmm... an early super poppy Stereolab crossed with Besties/Bunnygrunt laced with the crunching, clattering 'contents of a cutlery drawer tossed down a speeding escalator' guitars of Perth's possibly forgotten (by the many but not the eager few) This Poison!

It's just a freaking great POP record... all killer no filler... it swaggers, shimmies and it moves your hips and makes your heart soar and sometimes sore and I want to be surrounded by people who dig it too and we can all dance to it and whoop and holler; because it's a party record... because this is a POP band and they write tunes they clearly want to play and enjoy and enjoy playing to people and presumably they'll get off on that... the fun and the happiness they bring.

And isn't that enough?

I haven't got the luxury to sit about and get all academic and fwa-fwa-fwa about music... the music I crave has an immediacy

And I don't know what the purpose of blogs is/are beyond people just spouting on and on (sometimes winningly, sometimes not) but this LP's made me skip to the laptop (not literally) and post and I won't be the only one that does that... and I don't care what the critics say, whether they like this or not because I know... I know this is a great fucking record.

I don't really know what else to tell you... I doubt anyone's reading this anyway... so I'm posting this for myself... yeh... and what I'm telling myself is 'thank flip for this record' because it's serving it's purpose and making me feel carried away

I should've written a review of the Indietracks festival which happened a fortnight ago but I never...This seems more NOW and Indietracks is another 12 months away anyway (mind you this years was fucking amazing, so maybe I will write about it soon...)'Songs For Tuesdays' is just a fucking great record, if you think you might like it go and buy it, if you don't, I'm not bothered, I like it, I think I might fall in love with it over the next weekI think I might be already in love with it... you know what loves like, I hope, that sudden rush

Summer Cats have that all over it.
x

Posted by a fog of ideas in the UK. Read the Blog here
Labels: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment